“SUPER LAWYERS” “BEST LAWYERS” “BEST LAW FIRM”
We have a diverse, multi-jurisdiction trial-focused practice in the areas of:
- Complex business litigation
- Securities litigation
- Intellectual property: patent (litigation), copyright, trademark, and trade secrets
- Business and nonprofit corporations
- Real estate litigation
- Public utilities
- Oppression of minority shareholders
- Accounting malpractice
- ERISA litigation
The Firm's partners have practiced together for more than 30 years, and have the highest rating attainable from Martindale-Hubbell ("AV Preeminent"). All three are Oregon "Super Lawyers" and "Best Lawyers", and the Firm is rated a Tier 1 Best Law Firm. The Firm's practice is sophisticated and varied, and based almost entirely on referrals from other clients and attorneys. The Firm has been involved in an unusual number of reported cases, which reflect its multi-faceted practice.
Recent News & Highlights
- March 2016: ES&B obtains federal trademark registrations for award-winning chef David Machado’s celebrated restaurants NEL CENTRO and ALTABIRA. Gary Hardiman did much of the work for us and has helped register a number of restaurant names including Jeremiah Tower's famous STRS and Bradley Ogden's FUNKY CHICKEN.
- Mike Esler mentioned in 2/3/16 front page article in The Oregonian “Investors fear their savings gone to pot,” about new case we are working on (with others) involving losses at Iris Capital.
- Mike Esler is key witness for Federal prosecutors at sentencing hearing of Sunwest’s former CEO Jon Harder. Harder’s plea bargain provided for a range of 5 to 15 years and he received the maximum—15 years. Read The Oregonian’s article. Read Mike’s testimony transcript.
- Mike Esler completed a graduate level MOOC (massive open online course) for alumni of the University of Chicago Law School on the antitrust aspects of the growth of the “internet giants.”
- John Stephens was named Chair of the US District Court of Oregon Local Rules Advisory Committee. John has served on the Committee in various capacities for 15 years.
- John Stephens’ service as coach helps Grant High School's Constitution Team win first place in the 'We the People' national competition in Washington, D.C.
- Kim Buckley and (now Judge) Meagan Flynn (then of Preston, Bunnell & Flynn) successfully defended ES&B’s trial court victory in appeal and cross-appeal of judgment in favor of our client, a distinguished law firm, against a former partner. The issues concerned the terms of their partnership agreement and allocation of assets between the firm and its former partner. Read more about the case.
- Gary Hardiman’s Comment Letter was cited 4 times by the SEC in its February 26,2015 Order Approving a Proposed Rule Change Relating to the Revisions to the Definitions of Non-Public Arbitrator and Public Arbitrator. Gary, a FINRA arbitrator, wrote in opposition to a rule change that would place professionals who spend 20% or more of their time advocating on behalf of investors in the “Non-Public” arbitrator category, urging that they remain “Public” arbitrators. Unfortunately, we think, for investors, the SEC approved the change.
- Kim Buckley served as a judge in the National Black Law Students Association 2015 National Moot Court competition.
“I have always believed that throughout our lives we are blessed with remarkable people that for whatever reason truly make a difference, and those people we never forget. [We] will never be able to express enough our heartfelt gratitude to you and your staff for all of your selfless efforts on our behalf and all investors.”
“I want to tell you how much we appreciate what you and our people have accomplished for all of us, and you did it in what I believe to a remarkably quick time span. I have never enjoyed being involved with an attorney. I believe you are “the exception to the rule”. You have been professional always, funny and sympathetic when necessary, and always on-track while corralling all the diverse and multiple personalities you represented. I truly cannot comprehend the talent you possess, it is formidable. As an aside, I am really grateful that you were representing us, not “them”.”
I invested $100K into Sunwest and have now received all of my money back. I wanted to reach out to you guys and say I sincerely appreciate all the work you guys have done to get us to this point. Your vision, execution and being trustworthy during the fallout of Sunwest's failure is to be highly commended. My investment was to help support my daughters college education. After believing that the money was gone and now getting it back is tremendous. Thank You!!!
“Good work! I know how hard it is to settle disputes, especially in this climate and you should be proud leaving very little on the table. I only hope the rest works out for us in a real way, but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you and your firms’ hard work and persistence. You did a great job!”
“This has been said before but worth repeating several thousand times, we would not be where we are now without your competent, compassionate, aggressive yet loving guidance along the bumpy path. Gathered around, I know, is an outstanding team but they would not be there or empowered to be so fantastic without your leadership. Thank you is hardly enough to express our collective sentiments. Warm regards for your Herculean efforts.”
“Thank you for your persistent efforts on our behalf. I know it is unusual to recover so much of clients’ investments in these cases. You have always been “client-friendly,” accessible, and on top of all this. I feel extremely fortunate!”
“I wish to join all the others that expressed their sentiments regarding your handling of this case and your excellent law firm. You accomplished much more than expected and I add my congratulations to you all.”
“Mike, we want to personally thank you for the wonderful job you and your partners performed for us. When we walked into your office, we had no idea what sort of case this would become. After three years, we are pleased with the outcome and know you and your crew is responsible for those results. There’s really no words that can express our gratitude.”